Friday, October 10, 2008

The Best Post Season EVER




I love the postseason in baseball more than any other sport that exists, and I'll tell you why. First of all, as a former pitcher (and current hurling fan), the pitching performances that manifest themselves during the postseason are nothing short of unbelievable; we see the best throwing that baseball has to offer. Period. Second of all, EVERY win is a dramatic win. Nothing is "given" away in playoff baseball; everything is fought for--until the bitter end. Finally, baseball has a longer season than most other sports (well, hockey has a pretty long season, but hockey who cares about the NHL?). Baseball players might just be the only professional sports players out there who actually come close to earning the money they make (not that ANYONE deserves more than 50K for playing a GAME....but that's a different story). The battle it out from, essentially, the end of winter in April, to the onset of winter in late October. Unlike football players, who show up once a week only, baseball players are out there sometimes five days a week. Its ALMOST like they have real jobs!!!!


This postseason, in my opinion, showcases the best teams anyone could ask for. Obviously, the Red Sox will win the World Series....but I'd really be happy with ANY of the four teams winning; its an ideal postseason schedule. For the first time I can remember, there are no "hateable" teams competing--and there are hardly any "attitudes" (except for Manny of course). I'm a life long Sox fan, and that pretty much goes without saying. And even though I hope they crush the Rays, you've got to love the Cinderella story that exists with Tampa Bay--they have gone from the "armpit" of the MLB to the best team in baseball. And they've done it in classy fashion...they havent gone out and bought their team--they've meticulously rebuilt it over the past several years. And its finally come to fruition. And I like the manager's glasses. As far as the Phillies, they are my National league team, and have been ever since I married into a Philadelphia family--all of Amanda's family adores the Phillies, and Amanda has very fond memories of getting Mike Schmidt autographs when she was a girl. They're a classic American team who havent been to the big show since 1994, when they lost to UNAMERICANS (Bluejays)!!! What an insult! They are due. And as far as LA is concerned, I love them because that's where all "shafted" Red Sox go to play--they're like a "Red Sox Retirement" team. I love the Sox, and I always will, but, in my opinion, the front office hasnt always treated the players with respect (a one Bronson Arroyo comes to mind). Grady Little, the scapegoat of 03, coached there, only to be replaced by one of the classiest men in the game--Joe Torre. I can't stand Manny, but they've got Nomar (another scapegoat) and Derek Lowe, who basically WON the world series for the Sox in 04, and then got the boot. He is undoubtedly my favorite former Red Sox player, and I wish him the best. He's one of the few ballplayers who plays with 100% heart, and I love watching his sinker work.


Okay Jay, Tim, John, and Mike.....let me have it

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jared, can you believe it? I agree Entirely with your whole blog!!!!! And thankyou so much for posting that picture of Derek Lowe! I just love him, he's so hot. Oh, and he can pitch great too! I was so upset when the Red Sox traded him and Bronson Arroyo.
Have fun this weekend and say hi to everyone for us. I'm sure going to miss my "little moo" but it is a good thing that he is going to meet the rest of his family and see his grandparents and auntie and uncleie. They are going to LOVE him!

Anonymous said...

I think the Philly Phanatic is hot. But not as hot as Slugger the SeaDog.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to let you have it. Lowe only had a 14-10 record. Baseball players earn their money, you can be a losing picture and make millions of dollars. Schilling made 8 million dollars this year for doing what.The great American sport, your upset about Toronto playing, how many players today are American, not that there is anything wrong with that. And last but not least, YOU were a picture??????? You sucked.

Unknown said...

I wish we never told you where we hid your Phillies hat.

By the way, there was no World Series in 1994, you're thinking of 1993.

With respect to the payscale, I'd rather have the players get a great share of all the money that the sport of baseball generates than even more going to the owners.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't describe the rays as classy. I'm picturing johnny gomes and iwamura dog piling coco crisp in that rumble. They're a bunch of punks about to be put in their place. Alex Rodriguez makes $50k per AT BAT. fifty grand every time he steps to the plate, for every fly out and double play. these sox playoff games have been fantastic to watch. i 2nd ortiz, you were a pitcher?

Anonymous said...

Jared, you douche.
Tampa are a bunch of scumbags and have been scumbags since the Gerald Williams/Pedro Martinez rumble of 99 (possibly 98).
Derek Lowe was a drunk and cheated on his wife (with two kids) with some sports reporter. Nomar gave up on the team, just like Manny did. And the Bronson Arroyo trade was straight business. The Sox signed him to an attractive offer that other teams took a look at and expressed interest him.

Fact: You were not a pitcher nor can one call oneself a pitcher when they didn't pitch past little league. If that were the case then John Caparella was a helluva ball player and Josh Fine was an all-star catcher.

Go get cable and actually watch a game so you know wtf you're talking about.

Anonymous said...

Because I believe that major league baseball is an American religion, I refuse to judge you based on your religious beliefs. (though I do wish you had your historic facts correct)I'm glad you are enjoying the post-season...even though it would be MUCH better if a certain team from our nation's capital had been invited. I'll end this comment the way most baseball prayers end...wait 'till next year.

Anonymous said...

jason sr:

your comments are so hurtful that I find myself wishing to be welded in a box. bronson arroyo straight business?? you gotta be kidding. he took LESS MONEY to stay with the sox...and the ended up screwing him anyway. Lowe didnt cheat on his wife until he was in LA...with the Dodgers equivalent of Heidi Twatney. Nomar didnt "give up." Rather, he had a crappy year when he basically gave every pitcher in teh AL good fielding practice. But he didnt give up.

Why dont you go dig out your old Dodgers hat....speaking of which, I think a certain picture will grace my next blog.

But i do love you papa deuce

and I could strike out your ass.

Anonymous said...

Derek Lowe used to do coke in the bathroom at Up and Downs in Quincy. fine establishment.