Monday, October 27, 2008

Books (and Music)

Two of my favorite things. And I've been on a pretty steady stream of good books lately. Sometimes I seem to get in a funk, so to speak, and I can't find anything worthwhile to read (when I actually have the time to read my meager 10 pages per day). But, through the summer, and continuing throughout the fall, they've all been A-pluses. I didnt put the photos on here, but I LOVE YOU BETH COOPER is a hilarious novel about high school graduation night...and they adventures associated with it. Also, DIARY OF A WIMPY KID may be the funniest damn book I've ever read; there were SEVERAL parts where I just laughed out loud. Its a "novel in cartoons," and it chronicles the life of Greg, a middle-schooler, going through all the trials and tribulations that we all remember so dearly from middle school. Check it out. Right now I'm reading:

Its a fantastic book--and I'm usually not one for non-fiction. Its actually written by a high school teacher in Winthrop (about 35 minutes away), and it is full of Maine lore, history, anecdotes, and information--all about the amazing canoe. The Penobscot nation really knew their stuff; one of their chiefs paddled from Moosehead Lake ALL THE WAY to Boston! In one weekend!! He used lakes, connecting rivers, coastlines, etc. Amazing. Its really giving me "the bug," and for the past two weeks I've driven around with our Old Town strapped to the roof...in hopes that having it at least "on" the car will provide the impetus to paddle more. But who has the time??

In addition, I joined a new book study at school with some of my colleagues. We are reading:


Usually, I'm not too into these "theorists" who use their Ph.Ds to flaunt what is otherwise common sense....but this looks very interesting, and it deals with how creative people (not all the technology geeks) are more valuable than people may think. At least thats what it seems to me. But I'm sure Shane thinks differently.


And, of course, music. I'm trying to make it a bigger part of my life--I've really been amping up the songwriting process, and having (well, not "having"...I mean, its a pleasure) to write Michelle and Chris's wedding song is getting me "back in the saddle." Callum absolutely LOVES when I play and sing to him. I put him in his little chair, and, honestly, I've rarely seen him so happy! He actually sings along (in his own way, of course). I know you must all think I've full of crap, but I'm totally serious....he verbalizes lots of sounds and phonetics as I sing. I can't wait until we can "perform" together!

One big hand, one little hand. Both making music together.....

He wanted to show mommy just how good he was at the keyboard. The only problem, as far as he could tell, is that he couldnt find a way to put the keys in his mouth (like he puts everything else in his mouth!). I know I will learn to love this picture more and more as the months and years go by. Which reminds me.....we need to get some more pics on Snapfish.com for you all to see!!
GO PHILLIES!!!!! GET IT DONE TONIGHT!!! PUT THOSE RAYS BACK WHERE THEY BELONG!!!!!! (and the fake fans too!)







3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will put more pictures on Snapfish on Wednesday.

I love those pictures of Callum and his daddy at the piano. I hope that Callum loves music as much as Jared and I do.

When should I give him his first oboe reed?

Michelle Garner said...

I loved your pictures of Callum playing the piano with you...too cute. I have a picture like that of me and my grandmother, and it's one of my favorites.

Anonymous said...

That picture of you and Callum is my favorite. In the world.