Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Winter Harbor Camping Part I: Callum at camp

Here is the campground......pretty nice, huh? Too bad its going to be big ostentatious houses soon. Oceanwood Campground is stunningly beautiful; there are about a dozen sites RIGHT on the ocean, and the rest of them are just a short walk through the shore-path. You are looking at the other side of Birch Harbor--directly to your right, across Frenchmen's bay, is Acadia National Park, and right in front of you is wide open ocean! If you blow the picture up, you can see Lynne walking along the rocks.
Callum LOVED camping. He thought the tent was like his little playhouse. He slept very well, all things considered. Napping was tough, since he just wanted to play. But I think the salt air made him sleepy. And he loved the ocean. He would point at the waves and just keep going "oooooohhhhh!!!" and stuff. Here are Amanda, Callum, and Jon on the rocks by the seawall at Oceanwood.

Callum must have admonished us at least a hundred times a day that the fire was indeed "hotttttttt!" The rest of the time, he spent chasing people around the site, navigating rugged campsite terrain of rocks and roots, eating his daddy's pickled sausage, and playing with his "diggers" (trucks, pail, shovel, rake) as he moved pine needles and rocks from pile to pile. He was a joy to be around!
Here he is on a walk with Uncle Jon across the campsite. I dont know from where they were coming. This is actually Lynne, George, and Grandpop's site. Our site was the one to the left....through the woods.


Here's my "Hells Kitchen" instructor, Grandpop, showing me the way he wanted the grate positioned for cooking huge thick chicken breasts over the open fire. WHAT A SURPRISE that they werent done all the way! Haha. We rearranged some rocks and had a nice makeshift "grill." I have to say I was really proud of myself for starting a charcoal fire without the aid of my chimney starter OR any lighter fluid. I used newspaper, some split pine, and a little help from the seabreeze. And we had a nice hot cooking fire.

I thought we got a picture of Grandpop's tent, but I guess we didnt. I think Robert E Lee used the same tent during the Civil War. Haha. A great campsite. We ate well (chicken, ham, eggs and such, cookies, pickled sausages, lots of great beer, etc). This post was just on our camping adventure. I will post a couple more on our separate outings while we were there. We cant wait to take Callum camping again!



1 comment:

ortiz said...

Admonished??????