Tuesday, September 1, 2009

My stuff.....

First of all: Remember the movie STAND AND DELIVER? Math from the Ghetto? That's really all.....
It always comes to pass that when the summer begins to subside, I find myself doing more culinary "projects." I have had it with this summer....I hate the heat and I am ready for winter! Thus, I have begun "my stuff." Although we have a small yard, we still manage to grow many herbs, such as chives, catnip, basil (our basil sucks), thyme, oregano, lemon balm, spearmint, and a little bit of chamomile. Now that stuff is starting to go to seed, I am finding myself harvesting lots of the mint and lemon balm to use for teas and tinctures. Also, the thyme is excellent on chicken and in soups, and the oregano is just plain good on anything. I harvest the oregano, dry it, and pulverize it in the foodprocessor. If anyone would like any herbs (dried or live--so you can plant your own) please let us know. We have plenty and we'd love to share.
Imbued by faculty Emeritus Dan Camann, I have also "put down" my pickled sausages. These things are wild, and they truly are irresistible. I make them using Dan's recipe of vinegar, pickling spices, hot pepper, and a few other goodies. The longer they sit, the better they are! Hopefully these will be ready for a camping trip this weekend.

Funny sauerkraut story: Today in class I was explaining a book we'll read (The Longest Winter) about a WWII platoon and how they were taken prisoner by Nazis, suffered, and survived a grueling ordeal. This kid could not WAIT to offer a comment...they had their hand waving like the world was going to end. "Yes?" I finally said, calling on the student. "Umm....I have a cousin who is part Jewish." Excellent.
But, now that cabbage is pretty abundant, I have been making sauerkraut (the real, homemade kind) in a clay crock Ensign gave me. He used to pickle in it. I pickle.
It is really easy to make 'kraut, and it is incredibly healthy for you too. Basically, you take shredded cabbage, mix in a ton of salt, put down a plate or something, and then "weigh down" the plate. As you can see, I use a rock wrapped in foil. Simple as that. This batch is about ready actually...I just dont feel like scraping off all the mold right now. The natural fermentation creates lots of scum and mold.

More moldy scum....
Other "projects" I'd like to do now that we are at the end of season include canning! Amanda has been talking about canning for a long time (I mean she has been talking about canning....not that she has been talking about canning incessantly for like hours and hours....sorry for the misplaced modifier...). We'd like to do pickles and tomato sauce. We have a new canning pot with a rack, so we'll see how it goes.
And, somewhere on my wish list, is the desire to make beer. But I dont know. Seems complicated, and I'm not very bright. Oh well.


Finally, here is Callum giving me a flower to eat. He likes to feed us now. I love this kid to death....How can you not?





8 comments:

cheech said...

do you have an of those herbs that you smoke?

Unknown said...

Well done Escalante.

sally piles said...

I don't like the new pictures you've put on our page. Sorry.

But I do like this blog post. Not as must as I like my new bike, though.

JR said...

"... we still manage to grow many herbs, such as chives, catnip, basil (our basil sucks), thyme, oregano, lemon balm, spearmint, and a little bit of chamomile. Now that stuff is starting to go to seed, I am finding myself harvesting lots of the mint and lemon balm to use for teas and tinctures."

And you were worried that you might not be gay?

Ed Lemish Loves that flick said...

"Fill the hole"

ed lemish the driver's ed teach said...

awwwww.....you da finger man......

Unknown said...

Hey! Nethead!

Michelle Garner said...

Love the picture of Callum trying to feed you the flower...very cute! Hope you guys have a great time this weekend!