Sunday, April 22, 2012

First trip of the season to Moxie Falls....

 We went this past Tuesday, and I am being honest when I say this was one of the nicest days I have had in a long time--it was simply a WONDERFUL day. Moxie falls, pictured above, is a gorgeous spot--very secluded and not very touristy--up in The Forks (a. yes, this is the name of the town b. it has a year round population of 30). The Forks, as I have mentioned before, rivals Springpond woods and even Seawall as my favorite place in Maine. Moxie falls is a stream that meanders its way into, eventually, the Kennebec River, and, by default, the Dead River as well (that is why the town is called THE FORKS, since two rivers converge at this point).

We took of on Tuesday morning, when it was a bit cool outside, and travelled the 50 minutes of so up Rt 201. Here are Callum and Amanda, absolutely awestruck, at the magnitude of the falls, even though we here in Maine are in the midst of a drought and there has been NO rain for some time!


To get to the falls, you park off Lake Moxie Road and hike in about a mile or so; there are lots of steps and ramps, and the trail is well maintained. The kids--both of them--really enjoyed hiking in, climbing up rocks, going under fallen trees, collecting leaves and pine cones, and just generally enjoying life, in Maine, on an absolutely gorgeous spring day (someone quote me on this: I used the words GORGEOUS and SPRING in the same sentence!). Below is that "Maira Face" I wrote about in the last post; she makes this face whenever she is excited/in disbelief over what she is doing/has just done. Here, it is standing on a rock. The picture cracks me up.

Here we are about half way in, where they decided to put the sign telling you where you have been walking for 800 yards....I think my Nana Courtney would love it here, even though the acrid carbonated beverage does not fall 60 feet from rock slides into little pools of water....



Beginning our day, walking into the woods. There are few things I enjoy doing with my family more than heading AWAY from other stuff--whether we are heading into the forest, or shoving off from land into a river or lake. I just like getting away with them. I am really hopeful that this will be the start of a great spring/summer season spent outside in the canoe, in our hiking boots, and in the driver's seat of the ATV. I want my kids to "grow up" outside. This is why you, Brad, need to assemble a daddytrip to this venue. The girls can crapbook or sew or make snacks for us....or they can come.... 

EDITOR'S NOTE: Please note Callum carrying "Joey," his stuffed kangaroo, which Upbob bought him a while back. Joey is the animaloftheweek.....

I need to do a PART 2 of this trip, since there were so many more little adventures and stories we shared on our trip to Moxie Falls. If anyone ever wants to join us, give us a call. It is great because:
a. it is not far from our house
b. it feels like it is because it is truly a different world
c. the hike in is very flat and easy
d. in the summer, you can hike down and swim in the little pools
e. the ride is beautiful
f. there is a microbrewery ten minutes away

No comments: