Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Nutcraquer stuph and such as

I mentioned in the last post how we went to see the Nutcracker this past weekend at the Waterville Opera House. The opera house is a SPLENDID location to see a show--ballet, concert, play, or whatever you want. In the past, we have seen the Nutcracker here twice, and we have also seen rock concerts, The Fantastiks (a musical), and Much Ado About Nothing (Shakespeare). They have recently done a year's worth of renovations, and it is a delightful gem of the community. I noticed that, in February, HAMLET is playing there. I will be there. "The play's the thing..."

Here are Amanda and Maira. I dont know if you can tell from the picture, but Maira is wearing a beautiful dress MeeMee and Grampy gave her for her birthday. Maira was spellbound during the ballet. We loved watching her as much as we loved watching the actual show....



And here are Callum and I. I should mention that I gave Callum 6 Oxycodone before the show, as if you cant tell from the picture....

We sat up in the balcony--a great place to sit, with a bird's eye view of the place. Beautiful artwork and gilded design adorns the opera house. I just love it here.


Sally and Maira, below....


This past Saturday night was a treat because we went to bed, late, after watching a movie, and it had started snowing....and, then, we got to wake up Sunday to resplendent snow (about 14 inches after it was all said and done). There are few things as beautiful as going to bed in a house warmed by a wood stove knowing full well that you will wake up to snow. A great feeling. We didnt go to church, but we did shovel for about an hour--the snow was beautiful, white, fluffy.

The Carlton's--Beth, Andy, Hannah, and Emily--came over to watch that football team who plays in New England sometimes.....and I made a ham....and we drank away our sorrows since Tom Brady has left this earth....just joking...kind of....

Always great to see the Carltons. It is great to have good friends who live basically a hundred yards away. Below, the kids enjoy the last of their desserts and put on a show for the camera.




So we got that big storm on Sunday, and, ever since about last Thursday, it has been OPPRESSIVELY cold. I told my dad on the phone yesterday that, in the 8 years or so we have been heating our house exclusively with wood, I have never gone through so much so fast. Ridiculous amount of wood needed to combat these temps which, at their warmest (which was today) got up to about 12 degrees. Mostly we have been in the negatives, with yesterday morning 'topping off,' if you will, at -14. And, at the risk of sounding cocky, I have been out each day running. It has been--if this makes sense--'miserably rewarding.' I have ice grippies for my sneakers, and bright clothing for visibility. But the wind and the cold literally just sucks the life out of you. I find myself passing out on the couch by 9. Very very cold.

We got another bust storm yesternight....the weatheridiots said we would get 7-10 inches, and we got about 4. So I am going to go shovel right now. Bye.

No comments: