Monday, March 3, 2008

61 Years!!


I can't believe it. I turn 30 this May . . .and I can't even imagine ever being ALIVE for 61 years--never mind being married that long. It is truly remarkable, and yesterday was a beautiful gathering of grandmom and grandpop's friends and family--all of whom helped them celebrate their day. It was a "quasi-surprise" for them, as Lynne basically told them they HAD to go to church on Sunday (originally, grandpop wasnt going to go, since, from our last storm, we picked up another foot of snow, and he wasnt planning on clearing out the driveway). Ladies from the church made a cauldron of American Chop Suey, a huge bowl of salad, a gigantic crock of chicken noodle soup, and all the fixings. We had a cake from Hillman's--America's best bakery.


Here, Lynne reads a poem written by the New Jerseyans, who were there in spirit. Lynne also gave a nice toast. No one cried. Not. (look how excited George looks!)

They havent cut a cake together like this is a long time! And they used the engraved knife and spatula that Amanda and I used to cut the cake when WE got married! How cute . . . Enlarge this picture to see more clearly the photograph of grandmom on her wedding day. She cleans up nice, huh?
A few years ago, I wrote a song called "25 again," and it was inspired by grandmom and grandpop's marriage. Interestingly enough, it is just about the favorite song I play for my high school students--they love it! Lynne asked me to perform the song at the party yesterday. I think it went well. George can hardly contain his emotion . . .

Congratulations Bud and Edna . . .I hope someday Amanda and I can be married for 61 years!!

6 comments:

Belle said...

What a wonderful celebration! Grandmom and Grandpop are truly amazing! Thanks for helping Lynne & George throw them such a wonderful celebration of their 61 happy years together, I just wish we could have been there in helping you celebrate.

Anonymous said...

if you would move to Maine you would have been there.

Anonymous said...

Me thinks Anonymous needs to get out of the cabin because he, she, it, definitely has the cabin fever or is it the anal fever.

Don't pick on my belle!!

Anonymous said...

i think its "anile" fever.not . . .umm . . .the other one.

that is . . .um . . .something else. maybe stevee cee can explain . . .

Anonymous said...

Jared/Panda/Charlie(you now know my vote)/Thomas:
Please send my regards to Grandpop & Grandmom! Congrats to them. They TRULY are something special for all married couples to aspire to be like and learn from.

Talk to you soon

Anonymous said...

You go mom & dad. Wonderful pictures and you look wonderful. Sorry we couldn't be there. M.I.L. did a fantastic job!!!! You go M.I.L.!