Monday, March 24, 2008

My Five Favorites: Part 2 of a 10 Part Series

MY FIVE FAVORITE RESTAURANTS: BASED ON FOOD, ATMOSPHERE, MEMORIES WITH FRIENDS AND FAMILY, AND THE TYPE OF MINTS THEY GIVE YOU WHEN YOU LEAVE

1. Muddy River Smokehouse, Portsmouth NH: This is where I spent just about every Monday night during college: All-You-Can-Eat St. Louis style BBQ ribs for 10.99! Thank You . . .

Just a super restaurant with a truly unique atmosphere: blues music, 29 beers on tap (many of them the fantastic NH microbrews like smuttynose and red hook), dark lighting with stars on the ceiling, you name it. I have to say I took several dates here in college (well, it was three . . .not several) but I ESPECIALLY remember the first time I took Amanda. This is the kind of place you take a date when you want to REALLY want to know if they are worth keeping around; its the culinary equal of "bringing them home to mom." Are they going to play it safe with the Caesar wrap? Or are they genuine enough to "be themselves" and get a little sauce on their face? Amanda was a rib girl. And that changed everything . . .




2. Asian Cafe: When we go, we feel like we are part of the family. Just under ten years ago, Daniel Pengthong left his life in Thailand as a jeweler to come to Winslow Maine (of all places) to open a Thai restaurant. I was fortunate to have his two sons Golf and Eddie in class: they are remarkable kids. The food is exquisite; it is of the caliber of something you'd find in the finer restaurants of Boston . . .and its right in our backyard. . .in front of the train tracks. Lots of memories attached to this place too. For example, I am superstitious in that I have to eat Asian Cafe before each and every one of my concerts. Also, this is where Amanda and I ate lunch while we decided to put an offer on the house in which we now live. I usually go with the Saigon Spicy beef, and Sally goes for the crunchy chicken broccoli.
3. Fresh Catch Seafood, Easton Mass: The most wonderful seafood restaurant in the world . . .in my hometown, no less. My dad and Barbara are regulars here, going for lunch every Saturday. The cook's wife had a baby, and Hank and Bab's got her a present. The waiter sits with them and gives them crap while they order. Its that type of place. Nothing in Maine compares, as far as I'm concerned. Whenever Amanda and I travel down for a visit, we ask to go there for lunch. They have "Alaskan Chowder" with crab, scallops, and fish that is to die for. Plus, I usually get the fried oysters, which are sweet and succulent. Amanda gravitates from the fish sandwich to the fish and chips.
4. Ming Lee Chinese Restaurant, Waterville Maine: The finest Chinese food I've had in Maine. And that is a strong statement coming from me. (editors note: rangoon for rangoon, I think I like the FOOD even better than Lucky Garden . . . Lynne just had a heart attack). Amanda and I have "date night" and get the "Pu Pu Platter for 2" and fried rice. Lots of Chinese food, I find, is greasy, heavy, and processed tasting. The meals at Ming Lee each possess their own flavor, and they are cooked fresh. You can tell. Surprisingly, my dad has never eaten here with us. And he is the only person alive who knows Chinese food better than me.
5. Town Spa Pizza, Stoughton Mass: This isnt what it looks like now; this is an old picture. I practically grew up here in high school, and people like Jay, Bryan, Timmy, and Johnny will know exactly what I mean. Not only do they have the best pizza in New England, but also this WAS my high school hangout . . .so many great conversations and debates took place here. This is also the place where I famously (because I still get made fun of for it) ordered "wine and water" on New Years day of Y2K after I was hung over from the night before. You cannot go to this place on a Friday or Saturday night and NOT wait for 40 minutes in line . . .but its absolutely worth it. Johnny Crockett, in fact, buys tickets to come home from Nevada JUST SO he can eat at the spa . . .its his first order of business. There's just so many great memories from this place; so many high school weekends started with "meeting at the spa."
***HONORABLE MENTION***
Governor's Restaurant, Waterville Maine
Butcher's Choice, Waterville Maine
On The Border, Harvard Square Boston
Maui Chinese Food, Brockton Mass
Grazziano's Italian Restaurant, Lisbon Maine

So . . .what are YOURS???

17 comments:

Keith and Donna said...

DiLoenzos in Trenton is the best tomato pie you will ever have!!!

Anonymous said...

what the hell is tomato pie?

Belle said...

I have to 2nd Keith & Donna's pick. Steve and I can eat a whole pie ourselves and still have room for another. Maybe during your visit this summer we can all go for a grown up night out and the grandparents can babysit all the grandkids. Then we could go back to our house for a night swim and cocktails on the deck! How does that sound?

To answer the Mainer's question:
A tomatoe pie is a very thin crust pizza with 100% tomatoe sauce and very little mozzarella cheese.

Belle said...

By the way Jared if you can tear yourself away from your naked yoga, Emma made sure I packed her Zingo last night so she can play with you. I know how excited you must be!

Anonymous said...

Michelle,
That night out sounds great! Let's do that... I'm sure the grandparents won't mind watching all of the grandkids. I wonder if they can handle them all -- Emma, Callum, and the little baby Dovey!

I'm sorry to say that no Chinese restaurant ranks in my top 5, but I do like our date nights at Ming Lee, Jared.

One of my favorites, though probably not in my top 5, is the "Old Fogies" in Waterville. It's real name is 'The Villager' - Mom, Grandmom and I always go here for lunch when we're out for the day. Lately we've also been going there for breakfast too. A great little old fashioned place with home-cooked food. They even sell bulk roasted nuts and candy.

Anonymous said...

No way, Legends is number one now. That's where we will take the Mainers. Oh boy Jared, maybe you can be Emma's new best friend if you play Zingo!

Anonymous said...

of course emma and I are going to play zingo . . .we are also going to practice our letters and numbers, as well as chill out to the soothing sounds of hannah montana. duh . . .

I think ortiz would love zingo, and they will more than likely play this weekend.

Maher said...

Have you been to Muddy River recently? There aren't really any menus anymore. Everything is written on huge chalkboards on the walls. But I think MB got a salad there once. Uh-oh. Ha.

Anonymous said...

I was at Muddy River last week. They have menus if you ask but you are right about it being on the wall. I had a great appetizer....fowel balls! You cannot neat all the great beer on tap though. I would move to Portsmouth just for that.

Anonymous said...

My favorite is that Chineese restaraunt in Mystic that we went to with Jared, he was so stuffed.

How come Big G's didn't make it.

Good luck at Tits tonight

Anonymous said...

Our vote for Miyako Japanese restaurant and sushi bar in Freeport, Maine.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure if Ortiz posted his Top 5 Georgio's would make it and he would talk up the lobsters.

I can't put it on my list due to bias.

Tell you the truth, I really don't like eating at restaurants as much as I love getting food at take outs/sub shops.

But my top 5 bars are:

1. Johnny's Atlantic Beach Club, Middletown (Newport) RI. Best place to be in New England on a summer Saturday/Sunday afternoon.
2. Cask 'N Flagon, Boston MA. Best place to watch the Sox or Celtics.
3. Leitrim Pub, Worcester MA. Was blacklisted and unblacklisted twice, dominated their pool table, too many memories.
4. Cafe Florentine, North End Boston. Talk about laid back scene. I've been in there in seatpants and flip flops talking to models in pajamas.
5. Tavern on the Water, Charlestown, MA. Best view of downtown Boston, great place for drinks on a date.

Anonymous said...

Ruby Tuesdays is number 1, Tahiti in Dedham is number 2, Papa Gino.s is #3, Ho yon is #4 and #5 is Good Days.

Anonymous said...

Jared, it's awesome to see you give props to Muddy River! That would be in my top 5 as well, but the rest are probably in Chicago. Chucktown just ain't that big.

What are your thoughts on breakfast places? My favorite meal to go out for is breakfast.

Anonymous said...

What about Brick Alley Pub? And Scores? You know you love their "Legs n' Eggs" breakfast special.

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh Jared, as one connoisseur of Chinese food to another, I must introduce you to Chinese food other than the Ming. . .But you'll have to dine outside of Maine, I'm afraid. I shoulda told you a couple places in DC. . .
You REALLY should try Thai Bistro. . .

Anonymous said...

The mention of 'legs' in the comment from the Straz family made me think of the Friendly Toast in Portsmouth. I like their Matt #2 sandwich.
True, you have to be emo and have a wicked bad attitude to work there, and they do have really bad art (including a mannequin leg hanging from the ceiling) but the food is great and at least they finally got rid of the three mannequin butts on the wall above my favorite table...