Monday, March 10, 2008

Meanderings 26!

1. Its a scientific fact that:

a. there is no one named "Gilly," "Sully," "Woody," or "Smitty" who is not "a hell of a guy."



2. Have you ever paid attention to the little computer girl's voice who gives you directions when you go to leave a message on your friend's cell phone? She tells you to leave a message at the tone, but then she tells you how, when you are done, you can either "press star" or "just hang up." Why would I want to press "star" when I can just as easily hang up? Furthermore, what types of options exist for me if I do, in fact, press star. And why would I want options? The way I see it, all roads lead to you eventually hanging up, so why prolong the inevitable?



3. Amanda and I went to the New Balance sneaker factory store in Skowhegan this past weekend. They have a sign on the door admonishing that shoes MUST be worn inside the store. How funny, I thought. . . .that's the very reason people GO there in the first place--because they are lacking shoes. Oh well.



4. If anyone wants to start a band with me, I'm game . . .but I get to play that "keyboard/guitar" type of thing. I called and spoke to "Kids Incorporated," and they said it was okay. I am bringing it back.



5. Here's a trivia question to consider: In what year did "hardware stores" suddenly become "home improvement centers?" Its kind of funny rhetoric: they call it "improvement" to give us that false sense of "rugged individualism" that we are "improving" something pre-existing . . .like fixing up an old house, etc. But in reality, nowadays everyone just builds new stuff anyway



6. What's the difference between an "ancestor" and a "forefather?"



7. What's the deal with candy bar makers calling a smaller version of their candy bar "fun size?" What's so "fun" about getting less candy? They are tricking us, and I'm not going to stand for it! Are we to assume that smaller things, by nature, are somehow "fun?" I know it doesnt necessarily ring true when people are involved. Except midgets on St. Patrick's day.



8. Another pet peeve of mine is when secretaries at doctor's offices somehow feel bold enough to "pretend" they are the doctor when it comes to diagnosing, prognosticating, and admonishing what I should and should not do. Its like they feel that somehow, since they have spent so much time "around" doctors, that they somehow "are" like doctors. What's worse is getting these people OUT of the context of the office in which they work, and spending time with them in a social setting. Suddenly they want to both inform and diagnose you about your condition.



9. You know that guy Kevin Trudeau? He's the idiot that wrote that book about natural cures the government doesnt want you to know about . . .and he touts his own horn about how SEAL Team 6 and Delta Force were after him because he knows that apple cider cures cancer . . .and the government didnt want you to know that . . .but now, since he's just SUCH a humanitarian, he will sell you his book . . .even at the cost of his own life . . . .PA-LEEZE. I have written before about dumb idiots whose expertise was in a certain area, but now they are experts on everything because they are famous with a dumb talk show (Tyra Banks, Rachel Ray). Well now this Trudeau beavis is suddenly an expert on financial matters, debt, etc. too. He has a new book out where he unveils, at the cost of his own life, how your checks can also be used to make origami turtles . . .



10. I really dont like wearing shoes. Of any type.



11. Is that "American Chopper" show still on? Is that craze still popular? Have those guys crashed their bikes yet, rendered unable to ride or fight any longer? Finally? Man that was a stupid fad. I hope its over. Is it?



12. Along the same lines as the word "track," which I wrote of in an earlier blog, the word "chopper" is an interesting English word, for it has three distinctly different definitions. First, it can describe a silly looking motorcycle for over-the-hill men with small penises. Second, it can be something to use in the kitchen to "chop" onions, peppers, etc. Third, it is a nickname for a helicopter. Cool, huh?



13. Remember in elementary school you'd have all kinds of cool, schoolwide "competitions" like read-a-thons, volleyball tournaments, field days, races, etc? Some kids would really excel, winning first or second place . . .and I would inevitable get a "Certificate of Participation." A certificate of participation is the ultimate polite way to tell you you are a goon. It says, essentially, that there was a contest or competition that you did NOT in any way, shape, or form succeed in . . .but nevertheless you were "there" watching others succeed. It basically just serves to remind you, weeks or months after the fact, that you were in face "present" at something. Well done.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

American Chopper is still on! You know how much I love that show! I don't know why, but I am fascinated by it and I really like watching it even though I am totally not a motorcycle person.

Anonymous said...

You're crazy!!! Rachel Ray and Tyra Banks have great talk shows. As a matter of fact I think I would bang both of them.

Anonymous said...

keith, i cant believe you! you have a beautiful girl about to give birth to your first child!! how can you talk about having relations with fat chicks?

Anonymous said...

Jared, you get "honrable mention " for this blog.

Anonymous said...

Lynne and June, is there something wrong with fat people?

Anonymous said...

1. Its funny how EVERYONE in the construction industry has a nickname that ends in -y or -ie. Ortiz will confirm this.

4. To play that instrument you need to wear shades and a sportcoat with rolled up sleeves.

8. Are these receptionists related to all those parents who tell other parents how to raise their kids?

11. Last time I watched, the dad got married to some girl younger than his sons. I don't get this phenomenon. . . .I can't see eye to eye with girls 6+ years younger than me, yet 60 year olds can somehow get along with 25 year olds?

Michelle Garner said...

I'm not a fan of shoes, either. They have to be something that I can just slip my feet into. And I know what you mean about a "Certificate of Participation." I think that's what we should be giving some students, as opposed to a high school diploma. What else could we give certificates of participation for?

Belle said...

Hey me, Panda, John & Keith use to play Kids Incorporated! Remember that Amanda in grandmom & grandpops basement?

Anonymous said...

I think lovey-dovey has problems. I love American Chopper and I am a motorcyle type of person.
You're right I know someone named Woody and he is awsome, big too!

Anonymous said...

so woody is awesome AND big, huh . . .

like . . .um . . .he has a big heart or something?

hmmmmm

Anonymous said...

Oh, I remember playing Kids Incorporated in the basement on Detweiler Ave. We had such a great time...

I also remember playing restaurant with that fake food and making all the parents come down and eat dinner around the ping-pong table.

I think our favorite game was playing "factory" or whatever we used to call it. Michelle - you and I used to take orders over the phone, and then Jonathan and Keith would "make" the stuff in Grandpop's shop.

Those were the good days...

Belle said...

I know that Woody that Aunt June is speaking about and I think she means "tall" when she says "big too". Come on Jonny Gaetano get your mind out of the gutter.

Anonymous said...

Panda, too bad you did'nt play restaurant more often, mayse it would of rubbed off.

Anonymous said...

Jared, old people call their false teeth choppers also.

Anonymous said...

Hey Karen,

I love everyone- fat, skinny, etc. I don't even know who Tyra Banks is. And besides, I'm a little on the chunky side too which means there is more to love!!!!

Anonymous said...

My aunt Dot and uncle Joe used to leave their choppers, both uppers and lowers, in glasses of water on the back of the toilet. I was young and it really freaked me out to see two sets of teeth watching me go to the bathroom. Remember, June? That was a good thought, Ortiz.

Anonymous said...

Oh M.I.L. you always were scared of your shadow!!!! Seriously, Woody is a policeman in my town, a super nice guy!! I would like to know who is quoting me without my permission????????? If you knew me you'd know I would never talk about someones weight and trust me grandmom wouldn't know how to use a computer if her life depended on it.

Anonymous said...

... part of the fuel for this days entry comes from the fact that there is NO cool nickname for "Jared".

and, somehow "Gold-Smitty" ain't the greatest nickname. Jared will HAVE to revert to something special like "Woody" or "Spike". How 'bout sumthin' totally random like "Darrell" (who has a twin brother, for those of you not from Maine who already know about Darrell.)

Randy (NH)