Thursday, August 2, 2007

Book Reaction: Maigret on the Riviera


Maigret on the Riviera


By: Georges Simenon



This book sucked in a lot of ways.


Georges Simenon is a best-selling French author--sort of the French "Agatha Christie," is you will. His books have been the basis for many PBS "Mystery!" mini-series'. This short novel--only about 160 pages--was given to me by my buddy Dana, who is one of the biggest bibliophiles I know. I borrowed it from him because I wanted to check out a new mystery writer.


Superintendent Maigret--kind of like a crepe eating Sherlock Holmes--is sent to explore a murder on the French Riviera. The bright spot of the whole book, if there is one, is that Simenon has a pretty neat writing style. Obviously, the book is translated from French, so I dont know how much of it got "lost in translation," but the writing is similar to Hemingway, for the constant dialogue, sparse detail, and sporadic, choppy sentences.


The story sucked. Not only was it incredibly boring and weak, but also it lacked any normal "mystery" conventions. Absolutely no suspense and no surprise. Normal characters who did things no one gave a crap about. No suspicious activities. I dont even know what the mystery was.


The worst part (and then I'll stop, since I am boring myself to sleep) was that, other than Maigret, there were only three other characters in the book. And, at the end, they were ALL GUILTY. Kind of takes ANY suspense or surprise out of it doesnt it? Actually, its kind of funny. I am going to write a murder mystery featuring ME and ONE other character. Try and guess who did it!


And who wears a three piece suit with a carnation pierced through a buttonhole, a bowler hat, and a pair of patent leather shoes while walking up and down the beach? Oh, I know! Its Maigret! More reason why the Americans are better than the French . . .

1 comment:

tom sheepandgoats said...

Maigret on the Riviera is one of the weakest Maigrets, IMO. Try another one:

Maigret and the Hotel Majestic
Maigret's Boyhood Friend
Maigret and the Wine Merchant

are better Maigret's, as are most.
Maigret novels are my favorites, but I would never had thought so had I just read the book you read.