Thursday, August 2, 2007

Its Too Hot To Cook . . .




I feel like my mom when I say that . . . I can't believe it. I must be getting old. But it was TOO damn hot to cook tonight, so Amanda and I went to Governor's, one of our favorite restaurants in the area. I usually get the "blueplate special" which is two cheeseburgers, onion rings, and a coke. Very 50's. And the price can't be beat--only 6 bucks (now I sound like my dad). Amanda usually gets the "Brennan Burger," which is named after Maine's ex governor Brennan--who, consequently, was the voice behind the Jerky Boys. Not really.


We went to Wal-Mart after dinner, despite our best intentions to stay away from the institution. I needed to get some fishing line, since the rod and reel dad gave me has old "sticky" line on it, and doesnt cast very far. This afternoon, Dave and I headed up the Kennebec for a few hours to do some bass fishing. It was 97 degrees based on our thermometers, but it was nice to get out onto the water. We put in in Norridgewock, and headed north up towards Solon. The smallmouth bass fishing is pretty good up in this section, since they love to hang out by the river banks, under the shade of the overlaying trees, and in the coolness of large rock crevices which line the river bed. Fishing with Dave is always fun, since the "conversation" is top notch as well. For the second time this week, Dave was the champion, landing about 15 smallmouth bass. I caught 2. But I am just a more selective fisherman I guess. That, or I suck. Mostly, they were small little guys, but Dave and I each landed a pretty good size one.


Amanda has been hard at work at poring through her Jodi Piccoult novels (her new favorite author) and doing her 1000 piece jigsaw puzzles, featuring the art work of Charles Wysocki. Stay tuned for an entry by Amanda written about her puzzling and reading experiences! You may notice that I do most of the writing on this blog, but that is just because I do most of everything around here anyway. Joke. Amanda usually sits right behind me, picking her cuticles, and reading her book as I write . . .


One thing I have been doing during the mornings for the past couple of weeks is building fences around some of the old country cemeteries in the backwoods of Winslow. Stay tuned, too, for an entry on that!!


So much to look forward to


PS- While searching for pictures of the arch bridge over the Kennebec River in Norridgewock, I came across this old picture of Fairfield, taken from a "penny postcard"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And what about Thomas Pee. how does he get to stay cool.....

He will be a lot cooler at nannie -camp.....