Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Sally's Workshop



This little breezeway/mudroom addition thing we're doing is really starting to bug me; its amazing just how much work there is to do for such a little thing (thats what she . . . ). I commend anyone who has ever renovated or built their entire house. So many meticulous details to consider.


Sally has agreed to do the painting for three reasons


1. she likes painting

2. I suck at it

3. I have done most of the other stuff (I can hear grandmom yelling from here)


She is making great progress though, and there is just a little bit more to do until we are done with the whole room. I did the finish carpentry work the other day, measured and cut it, tacked it up, and then took it down so it was easier for Sally Piles to paint. Just some touch ups, and gluing the carpet down, and then its time to start drinking beer out there. Being the "expert" carpenter that I am (complete lie), I even built Thomas Pee two really nice extra wide window sills where he can sleep.


I "sold out" twice today. The first example of this was how I went to school; I combined my morning bike ride with a stopover in Black Raider country. Thus, I gave into guilt, and broke my rule not to go in this year until school started. I got to see Earl, however, and that was well worth the trip. He is our fearless leader/custodian/resident punchline, and he knows the inside scoop on everything. My schedule looks pretty good--or as good as it can be with block scheduling, I guess (I wont bore non-educators with the details). The good news is that I teach all seniors this year (last year I had a freshmen class in addition to my seniors). I'm looking forward to getting back to school, seeing students and faculty, and implementing some of my new ideas (thats what she . . .)


The second way I sold out today, as you can see from the picture, was that I bought an iPod nano. I am pretty excited though . . . .Now I am unique . . .just like 13 billion other Americans who have one. I think tomorrow I will go to Starbucks, wear crocs, and listen to my iPod while I read the latest Harry Potter. Then I'll look really original. I have zero skills with technology, so this should be pretty interesting. Everyone says "oh its so easy," but thats because they have fused brain synapses . . .I do not. Amanda and I are both looking forward to using the iPod, and possibly getting rid of XM Radio, which has gone downhill faster than Bush's approval rating. That's a story for another time, but suffice to say that, except for MLB, XM's music seems to really suck. Cocky DJ's and arcane playlists.


Hey, props to Mel by the way, who chimed in with a comment on the "trapper keeper" blog." She brought up something I forgot when she mentioned how she got a "five star" binder to look "more mature" after she had outgrown the trapper keeper. Go Mel. Yeay Five Star!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about some pictures of the inside of the room with the painting and the carpeting. Did you stain the outside yet? Dad

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see the room this weekend, i am so excited too for the central air you probably put in for our visit......

Cha Cha

Belle said...

Was the ipod QVC's special of the night?

Get ready because the zoo is coming........6 more days!

Anonymous said...

Do we have to sleep in the new room uncle jaja?? Mom has packed a lot of crap to hide in your house, she was saying something to daddy about snowmen, bathroom books, and snoopy dolls?????

Anonymous said...

i built my houseboat in spain with my own two hands. thank you for your commendation ja.