Monday, December 24, 2007

Christmas Cookies

Merry Christmas Eve!

As I sit here with my bowl of oatmeal, half of grapefruit and cup of tea, listening to 'A Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols' coming live via NPR from King's College in England, I finally have time to reflect on everything that has been leading up to this day and of course to tomorrow. Every year I say that I'm going to get all of my shopping done BEFORE Thanksgiving so that I can actually enjoy the Christmas season for once. Well, if I actually did that, would I really enjoy Christmas MORE than I already do? Wouldn't I miss the 'hustle and bustle' of running out the week before Christmas to get some last minute items? Wouldn't I miss Jared asking, "And just where are you going?" and my reply, "Oh, just somewhere..." and then trying to sneak packages in the house while he's not looking? I probably would. In fact, I definitely would.


I am now completely switching gears. I love baking cookies. I think it might be my favorite thing to do, especially at Christmas. I take a vacation day from work just to stay home and bake cookies for my family and neighbors. This year I was able to bake 5 different types of cookies, including 'spritz cookies' using my Grandmother's antique cookie press (I'm using it in the picture above). My Grandmother and I used to bake spritz cookies every Christmas (and sometimes throughout the year too) and I loved using her cookie press. To my surprise, she gave it to me two Christmases ago. It was seriously the BEST Christmas gift ever.

My favorite cookies to bake, and my specialty, are the Icebox Shortbread.



This year I made three different varieties - lime, cranberry/orange and ginger/lemon. If I thought that it had any chance of being even remotely successful, I would open up a cookie shop. Seriously. I think I would really enjoy just baking cookies all day and having my own little shop somewhere in a downtown or something. I would probably want to find a business partner who has their own baking specialty so that we could go in together.... any takers?

Today my brother, grandparents and parents are coming over for Jared's clam chowder and baked stuffed haddock. Jonathan is bringing green bean casserole and Mom & Dad are making Aunt June's macaroni and cheese. And then of course we have cookies... We'll go to church and then come home and have snacks. Dad will do his annual reading of 'Twas the Night Before Christmas' where he'll read literally the ENTIRE book - publishing information, list of 'other books you might enjoy' and everything. Oh, and we can't forget the part where he points out the cat in every picture. It's an annual tradition that was started when Jonathan and I were little.

I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas.

~Amanda

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I make pretty good Amish bread if you want to do a cookie/Amish Bread store.....are you bringing us any cookies cause i'd like the lime ones please

Anonymous said...

You look fabulous Amanda. I see you are starting to show a little. Isn't it great having wonderful memories with your family. I especially miss all of you at the holidays. I find as I have gotten older I realize just how important family is. I truly miss you all and hope that you have a Very Merry Christmas.

Anonymous said...

hey! I'm writing to you via the little computer room in my Gram's apartment "complex" hehe I just got off the phone with you all but I hope you're having a great night and I miss you! Amanda, maybe there will be some cookies left for when we do "our" christmas this weekend??? I'm sure you guys had a great time tonight and will tomorrow love you all =) and if you're seriously thinking about it, I might be a taker for owning a cookie shop with you, hehe

Anonymous said...

I guess you were to busy to work on my sock, wah wah