Sunday, December 30, 2007

A Return, The Purple Cow, Snow Shoes, and Corned Beef

Quite a mysterious title, no? Its basically a run down of what we did today. After about a seven month hiatus from Fairfield First Baptist Church, Amanda and I returned to the morning service today; it felt like going home. It was beautiful and spiritually satisfying . . .just what we have been needing. We joined some church friends for breakfast at The Purple Cow--Fairfield's own pancake house--after the service. I tried something new: a meatloaf omelet. Jay and the Reverend--did they have that at Zachary's?? We then drove over to Springpond, where we were invited for a corned beef and cabbage dinner. Sally and I brought our snowshoes, and we joined Brick for a jaunt through the backwoods of Mt. Vernon Maine. A trail leaves directly from Lynne and George's backyard that, about 300 yards later, connects to some wonderfully maintained snowmobile trails. These woods rate probably number 2 on my all time list of "most beautiful places in the world" (Acadia is number one, and the Jersey Turnpike is number 3).


Here we are, just departing on our hour long walk. Note the cool Carhartt vest and hat on Amanda. On me, note the Maine guide hat coupled with the throwback UNH rugby jersey. Compute this, sucker! And we have matching Sorell boots . . .how KA-YOOT!!!! Here, Amanda takes a rare shot of Brick looking at something else besides my butt. Kidding. Brick is just checking out the beautiful scenery as we approach a "Jerry bridge." This is a name of a type of simply rigged snowmobile bridge that goes over a small stream or brook. As opposed to a bridge that DOESNT go over something . . .idiot Jared . . .

As you can see, our bridge is about as good at math as I am. On a side note, as an English buff, I'm always amused by the signs you see before bridge crossings that read "Warning: Bridge freezes before roadway." I think this is adorable. The bridge must be shy, and/or have a crush on the roadway. I, often, find myself "frozen" and at a loss for words when I am trying to talk to someone on whom I have a crush . . .
And here's the brave and dauntless Sally Piles, negotiating the rough terrain of the modified wood pallets that make up the bridge. As you read this, Annie Bolger sits on her couch in Taunton, cursing at us out loud, for being stupid enough to cross this bridge, because we could have fallen in to the brook. But I assure you: it was perfectly safe.
Former "Ranger Rick" subscription holder and 4-H enthusiast Amanda explains some fresh deer tracks that lead from the trail deep into the woods. In addition to seeing MANY deer tracks, we also saw both Moose and Eight tracks. I wanted to follow Styx to see where it was going, but it started to get dark . . .

8 comments:

Belle said...

It looks like you guys had a great time! I wish we could have been there. I would love to take a snowshoeing walk through Lynne and Georges trails.

Amanda you look great!

Michelle Garner said...

Hi Jared and Amanda! The snowshoeing looks like a great time - my parents have just bought a pair of snowhoes, and Chris and I are looking for a pair to buy, too. It looks like a lot of fun, and with over 100 acres of land around us, we'd love to make the trek to see what's out there. Maybe we could all go snowshoeing together? You'll have to let us know what kind to buy...we're new at this!

Anonymous said...

I did not mean "snowhoes." I know you'd pick that apart, Jared.

Anonymous said...

snowhoes are what you call girls who live way up in jackman. except for jane . . .

Anonymous said...

Cool! Wow it looks like you had fun. Wish I was there with you. Amanda, Jared & little Bean have a wonderful, safe and Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

I am anonymous, how silly I forgot to use my nickname!!!

Anonymous said...

I was just wondering where you got the name "Brick"

Anonymous said...

I think it's George's old Volvo. It was a brick color and that's what we called it and Jon is a HUGE volve person