Sunday, December 2, 2007

COLD!! Dammit . . . .



Saturday was freezing out. And windy. Wind knocked down our gutters and destroyed the whole "tarp" configuration I had over a couple of cord of wood. But it was a great day nonetheless. I met Eric Reynolds at "Bee's Diner" again for breakfast--the place is such a quintessential Maine hole-in-the-wall. What's funny about it is that you see these blotchy skinned, salt and pepper haired, billowy flannel shirt adorned old Maine men, who, one moment, are talking about their snowmobiles, and, the next moment, when their food comes, take out "Dorothy Sayers" mysteries and books with titles like "Roosevelt's Private War." A very funny place. Eric and I were, once again, able to eat two big breakfasts for under 10 bucks. The "special" of the day was, quite succinctly, "DONUTS." That is--4 chocolate donuts and coffee for 99 cents.

After a wonderful breakfast with my friend, I came home to see Amanda off for her annual before-Christmas shopping day with Lynne. They go and buy all kinds of "mundits" and "chatshkas" as Mrs. Kemish and Mrs. Greenlaw call them (Polish and Italian for "shit"). I worked around the house, and then went over to stack some wood at the Willard's. This was wood that was, in fact, stacked a couple of years ago, but was then knocked over by the wind. Most of was frozen to the ground, so I had that going for me. But, alas, I got about half of it done, and went inside to enjoy some good cold beer (Oak Pond Brewery in Skowhegan has a beer called "Dooryard Ale" which has instantly made it into my top 5 favorite beers). George laid out a tremendous spread of snacks--"taquitos," shrimp cocktail, cheese and crackers, cream cheese with Jalapeno pepper jelly, and chips and salsa. "Dinner"--as if the snacks werent enough, was a new Chili recipe that George debuted. George is a phenomenal cook (almost as good as Amanda in fact . . .) who used to cook a lot when I first was around. But, I think, since I have been married to his daughter, I've depresses him to the point where he doesnt cook anymore. Haha. But it is great to see him cooking again--to me, its a sign that he is a happy guy.


As usual, I drank a few beers, and the little editor inside my head went off, and I made fun of Mel and Jonathan. And Lynne. And George and Amanda. But I deserved it . . . .it was COLD out yesterday.


Today is Sunday and Sally is decorating outside, hanging up lights. I have some work to do in the garage. Then, I hope to catch up on my book "Inside Delta Force" by Command Sergeant Major Eric Haney--a "charter member" of the counterterrorism unit. This is the book the show THE UNIT is based on. Dont EVER end a sentence with a preposition!!! Do as I say . . .not as I do . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Weren't you the one who put up said gutters.

Dummy.