Sunday, January 27, 2008

The Craft Room

When our son is born, he will reside in his mother's current "craft room," which is Amanda's headquarters for all of her crafts--sewing, knitting, spinning yarn, crapbooking (I know I spelled it "wrong" . . . .or did I?), and more. Its a charming room (perhaps my favorite room in the whole house . . .although I never go in there because its such a mess and I can't stand it) and it will be a terrific pad for b.b. Goldsmith. The chimney of the wood stove on the first floor runs up through the room, and it adds such nice character. I'm sure, in fact, it will be one of the first things he runs into when he learns to walk! Furthermore, the room has a neat crawlspace (because of the un-dormered part of the cape in which we live) and I am sure that, when he is about 5 or 6, he'll start playing in there, hiding his army men, reading ghost stories, bringing dates, and stashing contraband. Oh the times to come. You can see the little white door to the crawl space behind Amanda, as she sits by her sewing table and goes through patterns for sweaters, tops, and baby clothes . . . . We put a lot of stuff in boxes and stored them up in the attic above the garage . . .all to make room for all the new stuff our little guy will accrue. While I was up in the garage, I decided to go through some of my "stored things," and I found my box of Matchbox cars. Who had these? I know I had tons more, but I have no idea where they went! My Hotwheels and Matchbox cars were awesome, and I had the "General Lee" from Dukes of Hazard, a bunch of police and firetrucks, and some old 55 and 57 Chevys. I had "Hotwheel City," which was one of the big toys of my youth (meaning every boy my age had it). I remember, in particular, the garage and the "lift" that brought your car up to the top floor of the garage. Anyone remember this? I also seem to remember Matchbox cars being displayed in both toy and drug stores in a fancy, well-lit case that spun around slowly (Smurfs, another collectible of mine, were also displayed this way). Now, they're just mixed in with the rest of the cheap plastic crap that's made in China. Some of the "special" Hotwheels included police cars that, when you pressed down on the roof of the car, made real siren sounds. Also, they put out a line of cars that you could "get into an accident with," and when you did, a door or a hood would "flip over" and reveal the newly "dented" side. Remember those, playa?? I put the box in the little guy's closet . . .he'll be playing with them soon enough . . .carrying them around in the bib pocket of his baby Carhartt overalls . . .

And here is one more of Sally, organizing all her yarn, labeling undone projects, and getting stuff ready for the baby . . .a baby who will be joining us in about 4 months!!! Wow . . .as one of my earlier meanderings stated . . . "that is crazy!" Next weekend, we begin ripping down wallpaper and paining the room. I hate this crap. I really do hate painting. A lot. Hope everyone had a good weekend . . .

7 comments:

Belle said...

Even though I'm a girl I loved playing with Hot Wheels and Keith and I had the How Wheels City. I wish I had kept that for Emma or Keith's little bean thats on the way. Emma has Steve's old Hot Wheels carrying case and cars. Looking at the picture we had most of the same cars!

Anonymous said...

I remember the He-Man figures had that ol' "damage" panel on their chests too. They also had wooly mammoth hair tighty whities.

Anonymous said...

Remember Underoos? Come on Jared I know you probably had the "Incredible Hulk" Underoos!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jared and Amanda! Thanks for your call this weekend - if you need guys need help with the painting next weekend, please let me know. I'll be around, and unlike Jared, I DO like painting, and I'd be glad to help! :)

Anonymous said...

I member.

Anonymous said...

sais said. funny

Anonymous said...

Matchbox and Lego's. . .
All a brotha knows. . .