Sunday, January 6, 2008

Winter Weekend




The "warm weather" we were supposed to get this weekend seemed to have held off a bit (both days were in the low to mid 30's), so I took advantage to go on two fantastic snowshoe trips. Yesterday I went with Eric down the "Marcoux trail" right across the street from our house. I love this trail because I dont have to drive there . . .I just walk right down Billy Marcoux's driveway and strap on my shoes. No one had been out there since the two big storms we had (probably because of the sub zero temps), so Eric and I had our work cut out for us, breaking trail in two-plus feet of powder. Since a good part of the trip took place in expansive fields, it was really neat to see all the animal tracks (deer, coyote, and I-have-no-idea) and the artistic looking snow drifts that were all rippled from the wind.


Today's trip was taken alone, since Amanda was out. Today I took the snowmobile trails running through Fairfield. I snowshoed for about an hour, and I must have seen between 20 or 30 snowmobilers pass by me--I am continually impressed by the courtesy they show to skiers, walkers, and snowshoers, for they slow right down IMMEDIATELY upon seeing you standing there. Its great to be able to share these multi-use trails that traverse some beautiful Maine countryside. I walked through some beautiful pine groves and birch forests today, and what is exceptionally beautiful is the way that, in the deep woods, the snow still sticks to tree limbs and branches; the cover is so thick that the sun hasnt been able to melt it yet.


Amanda and Mandy Pelotte went out to lunch today while I went for my winter walk. They went to "The Last Unicorn" which is a real uppity place in Waterville where the service sucks and the "waitresses" get mad if you dont order alcohol with your meal because that means your bill wont be as high. But Amanda had a great time with Mandy, and she said her sandwich is terrific (although she did remark how they were in there for like two hours having lunch because the service is so poor) and I am glad they get together; they are great friends. Mandy has her hands full with her two boys (both under the age of 2!!) so it is great when Amanda and Mandy do find the time to get together.


Well, I hear Amanda's garage door opening, so that means I should go and help her unload the groceries--I am cooking her "cheeseburger pie" tonight . . .a college standby! Oh, and hopefully Johnny Crockett will send me some pictures from Nevada, where the blizzard he is currently undergoing is rendering him with 4+ FEET of snow. Johnny-send me some pics . . .I'll make you famous by posting them on my blog . . .

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You really ought to give the Last Unicorn another shot. I have NEVER had a bad experience, and I have been there perhaps 50 times. And the martinis are HUGE.

knitnzu said...

Do you like those bindings? I have similar shoes (a style called 'Westover', named after Floyd, who made them) with similar bindings. I have mixed feelings about the shoes... one must take long strides (they are maybe 1/2 too long for me), which can make one tired... but the big shoes sure let you float on the deep snow when all the rest of the folks in their tubbs are sinking to their knees. But I'd love some easier bindings. You should go out in the powder... blaze your own trail, it's a bigger workout than on the snowmachine trails.

knitnzu said...

Oh, yeah, snowshoe pics on my blog from last winter... you can search 'westover' in the search box.

knitnzu said...

AND... tell your MIL that there are puppies... they are a week old. I'll try to phone her.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jared,
In the third paragraph, you have several mistakes. The words dont and wont each need an apostrophe and the word "is" should be "was" in order to keep all the verbs in this paragraph in the past tense.
I'm glad you're enjoying the snow so much!

Anonymous said...

Geesh Jared, I was looking forward in seeing de-motivational posters of your in-laws. When will they be posted?

Anonymous said...

fuzzy: i know, i know . . .we really should give it another chance . . .you are always talking about how the soups are so good . . .

knitnzu: sadly, the pictures shoes are not mine. I have (for the time being) some from LL Craps. I did, however, find handmade ash ones from a man up in bingham . . .

m.i.l: touche! (picture an accent over the "e")congratulations. you have passed the test i purposely left for you . . .no go read "the pumpkin seed slasher" mystery . . .

Anonymous said...

Is the M.I.L. looking for a puppy??
She didn't tell me, but I might be looking for one. What breed are they? You know we are missing our Abby.

Belle said...

I thought Aunt June said no more dogs?

If M.I.L is looking I've got a dog and cat she can have.

Unknown said...

How is no one commenting on Bob?? I'm shocked!