Monday, January 7, 2008

A voice that only gets better with age


One of my favorite Christmas gifts from Amanda this year was my James Taylor "One Man Band" album. Its funny--I used to absolutely HATE James Taylor's voice and his music. But ever since early in college, I have grown to love it. There's just something about his voice and his music that reminds me of "home" . . .whether that is home in Massachusetts, home in seacoast NH, or home in Fairfield Maine. I first became attached to his songwriting when I was a student at an Outward Bound sailing survival school off of Thompson's Island in Boston Harbor. His "Hourglass" album (my personal favorite studio album of his) had just come out, and it really influenced me a lot. I was still a relatively new songwriter, and I found his poetic images simple, yet mesmerizing.


When I was a freshman at UNH, there was this fifty-something year old hippy that used to sell bootleg cassette tapes for five dollars outside the MUB (student center) mailboxes. I think he sold tapestries, bongs, and incense too. But since my freshman roommate had that covered, I bought some tapes. I found a JT tape from a show he did in the early 80's while performing at Great Woods near my hometown of Easton. On it was a relatively obscure song called "Frozen Man," which was inspired by a National Geographic story of these archaeologists who uncovered, in Siberia, a frozen, yet utterly preserved homo sapien dating back about two thousand years. These scientists completely violated the sanctity of this man's repose, doctoring him up, and making him camera ready. It was a beautiful and sad song, and I remember listening to it in my Sony WALKMAN (remember those!!!??) as I walked through Durham January snowstorm. Everything seemed to fit so perfectly--the weather, the lyrics, and my own state of mind.


I have wonderful memories of seeing James Taylor at Great Woods (Tweeter Center) with the lovely Sarah Straz--my favorite memory (and one Sarah will undoubtedly remember) was making fun of the family all camped out on a blanket next to ours on the lawn. It was like Tommy Hilfiger and the Kennedy's all had a baby, and the baby was this family. Every single one of them wore khaki pants and blue polo shirts, and they had a spread of Merlot (pronounced MAHHER-LO) and some semi soft French cheese that probably cost 15 bucks a pound. I can't fully explain how nauseating they were . . .but they sucked. I also got to seem him with Amanda a couple of summers ago when the family of a student I had (and still keep in good touch with . . .in fact, the father owns a bar I frequent, and the mother cleans my teeth . . .fun!) took us to see him in Portland. The title of this blog doesnt do him justice--his voice just DOES get more amazing with age. A spellbinding show.


Lastly, I dont know how many of you remember, but Amanda and I used a JT song for our bridal party dance at our wedding: Secret O'Life.


Its kind of weird how singers and songwriters we dont even know can hold such a special place in our hearts, but that is what James Taylor does for Amanda and I. I can't recommend his new album enough! It is basically a greatest hits album, only it is completely live (out in western Mass) and completely acoustic (well . . he has a piano join him on a few songs). I am afraid to listen to it, because I dont want to get sick of it . . .its that good.


But dont take my word for it . . . .da da DA! (cue "Reading Rainbow" music)



this new album

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

James Taylor rocks!!! I love his music.

Anonymous said...

My wife LOVES James Taylor. I mean in a "I'd leave you in a second" kind of way. Can you teach me how to write songs?

Anonymous said...

Ha ha, I remember the Kennedy family! They were pretty funny... Remember that time in college when I dated a Kennedy for like two years? The one who brought golf clubs and bottles of Crown Royal to college? Who lit Mount Gay Rum hats on fire? Those were the days. Sigh.

Unknown said...

Even though I don't like Taylor, I agree in that it is hard to articulate the effect that music can have. If it makes sense, I'm a much bigger fan of music as a whole now than I was even five years ago, nevermind in HS.

Anonymous said...

James Taylor was on Saturday Night Live a couple years ago (he's probably been on a few times) and he totally blew ME away. his second song was solo and acoustic and just ooooozed pure talent and feeling. if you've never checked out his brother's (livingston) music, please do so as well.

Randy S.