Thursday, January 24, 2008

Dinner at "Cancun"

Doesnt this look good!!??
After having my pupils dilated at the eye doctor's this afternoon, Sally and I headed over to downtown Waterville's latest restaurant--an AUTHENTIC Mexican place called "Cancun." Two funny things happened at Cancun. First, we saw Jane, Giselle, and Judy (the school secretary and the two guidance secretaries) and I had to explain how I really wasnt high on the reefer . . .but I just came from the eye doctor. Second, Amanda had to read the menu to me, since I couldnt see anything basically. It was cute; it was like a mom reading the kids menu to the little boy--only there were no chicken fingers, and I'm one fatass boy.


Cancun was stellar, and I mean this sincerely. As I stated, this is an authentic Mexican restaurant run by Mexican folks who cook real Mexican food--none of this "McDonalds-covered-in-red-sauce" junk that they serve at Craparitas. Margaritas isnt even in the same GALAXY as Cancun. And the waiter called me senor all night . . .so I've got that going for me. I got "Burrito Raqueta," which is two burritos stuffed with slowcooked shredded pork and covered with tomatillo sauce and queso sauce. Sally got "Yolandas," which is three enchiladas stuffed with pulled chicken, guacamole, and tomatillos. What I liked especially about this place is how they dispel the "myth" that all Mexican food has to be deep fried and drowning in cheese. In fact, many of the entrees seemed very healthy indeed. Plus, they serve a lot of the "traditional" Mexican food like Mole (its a sauce . . .not a vermin), Carnitas, and Carne Asada--all foods I remember from when I was down in Nuevo Laredo.


You could virtually swim in the Margaritas, the chips and salsa were definitely homemade, and the prices were so reasonable. Fuzzy--this place is right next to the Last Unicorn . . .you should try it sometime!


Does anyone else want to go with us to Cancun? We'll probably go back this weekend . . .


Hopefully, this means I'll never have to go to Craparitas again!


Also, I was just thinking: for being "central Maine" in the Fairfield/Waterville/Winslow area, we have a lot of truly authentic cultural restaurants. We have the Asian Cafe owned by folks from Thailand. We have George's Lebanese Restaurant which is run by . . well . . Lebanese people. We have Freedom Cafe, which is real "soul food," and we have Cancun, which is Mexican. Maybe you should call where I live "Cambridge," Maine.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm in!

I was in Phoenix a couple times last year and the Mexican there blew me away. Being 3 hours from the border, there's a lot of Mexican influences around and it showed. The supermarket had a deli line dedicated to the variety of salsas as well as other Mexican condiments and fare.

Anonymous said...

Tim - Congratulations on posting the fastest comment in the history of our blog. We literally just posted this a minute ago.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to try it - I love Mexican food

Belle said...

With all the Mexicans, Asians, and Labanese all you need to do is throw some Indians into the mix and your town sounds a lot like NJ. We even have Carribean (or however you spell it)resturants here, now don't you wish you lived in Jersey!

By the way if I lived in Maine of course Steve, Emma and I would join you for dinner this weekend.

Anonymous said...

I was only trying to explaining sometheeng to heem.

Anonymous said...

Are you the Phantom Gourmet?

Anonymous said...

One can also shoot film. . . .

Anonymous said...

weird... the last time i was in cancun, i was smothered in foam and smiling for a camera.

Anonymous said...

yum yum, when I come up I hope we can go to this restaurant. You know how I love Mexican food and oh did I forget to mention so does the M.I.L.

Anonymous said...

if you can't see how did you type this

Anonymous said...

Man, I'm DROOLING! (About the RESTAURANT, Jared...) Can't wait to try it--hopefully with you and Amanda--when we get back! I think we're going to go on a virtual restaurant-visiting stampede when we come back; we've been missing things so much over here...