Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Halloween Part I



Hi. Jared here. Happy Halloween everyone. I am in class right now, and we are viewing a documentary about Edgar Allan Poe . . .kind of a creepy guy. But, I guess if you learn about him, you understand why he is how he is--he lost everyone he loved to Tuberculosis. He was a troubled and depressed man who wanted to "see" his dead loved ones--so he wrote about bridging the gap between life an death. When he was 28, he married his 13 year old cousin. What is most surprising about this is that he wasnt even from Maine . . . .


Has anyone seen "The Nightmare Before Christmas?" It is my third favorite movie (after the Truman Show and Big Fish). A great holiday movie--for Halloween or Christmas in fact. I havent gotten to watch it yet . . .perhaps this weekend, even


Check out http://www.onlinesentinel.com/ today and read the article about the abandoned Tuberculosis Sanatorium in Fairfield, where we live (the town . . .not the sanatorium). I have ridden my bike by this place a few times--it is at the top of Atwood mountain on Mountain Road. A very creepy place. There's just something about an abandoned mental (or TB) institution on Halloween . . .


This evening should be fun. Military Ave is the trick-or-treat capital of Maine, I swear. We get, literally, HUNDREDS of trick or treaters at our neighborhood, and I will write about it later. Each year we have lived at the house, we sort of "team up" with our neighbors Cindy and Dana, and we have a big party (it is Cindy's birthday too) combined with the candy-seekers. More to come on that later


Lets talk costumes. What were YOU? I think, more than anything, I was a pirate as a kid. This was most likely because I got to carry a sword. My mom used to use her own lipstick and makeup to make scars on my face and mustaches above my lips. As a kid, lots of Halloween costumes were made of trash-bag grade plastic, and they were hot as hell. This issue was always exacerbated by the fact that my mom, 91% of the time, made me wear a jacket out when I went trick or treating. She always thought I was "too cold." Anyone else's mom do this?? What were your favorite costumes?


During college years, Halloween is probably one of the biggest parties of the year--it is also a perfect excuse for guys to dress in drag, and girls to dress as turbo-sluts. This happened each and every year, and I'm sure Freud would have a thing or two to say about it . . .


I'll write part two after trick or treating tonight . . .

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Member the halloweiner I came up to UNH with an ex girlfriend and her buxom friend.

Good times.

knitnzu said...

I work in an old mental hospital! (The former AMHI) We've even been exploring in the tunnels, including under the big gray stone building that is not occupied. Search 'tunnel' over on the blog, there are a couple pics up.

Anonymous said...

I was actually thinking about costumes I have worn over the years....and one year...I was "Bert" of Sesame Street. I asked my mom how she felt about that....I think I was six years old, but still...

my poor mother had to dress her daughter up as "Bert"

Anonymous said...

but then I was also a California Raisin, a member of the Huggabunch (don't know if anyone remembers them, they're creepy to look at now), Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz, a Cat, Punky Brewster, a gypsy, a Cony Cheerleader, and a clown...

but the worst is, Bert, I'm sorry....

Belle said...

This year our boss wanted us all to dress up for Halloween so unfortunately I couldn't wear my turbo-slut costume (that would just be too inappropriate for work) so I dressed as Ragedy Ann. Emma was a High School Muscical Cheerleader.