Sunday, October 28, 2007

Yenta Party!!




On Saturday Sally and I got up very early to drive down to CT to the Favry house. We were on the road by about 730, but we didnt get there until 1230. It never fails; EVERY time we go down to Ledyard, we encounter some sort of strange weather, traffic, or other anomaly of nature that ONLY happens when we drive down Rt 95. On Saturday, it was the rain--we had TORRENTIAL rain downpours as I drove down south, and these lasted almost until Portsmouth NH. I did something I never do: I drank regular (as opposed to decaf) coffee, and, I'll be honest, it does funny things to me. Seriously, it makes me feel as if I am drunk . . .sort of. I can still drive and all, but its like caffeine makes me not care about the problems of the world. Futhermore, it makes me super creative and productive, and I planned three whole units (two for speech class, one for senior honors English) for school before we even got into Rhode Island. Caffeine also makes me have to pee a ton, and it just hits me like a ton of bricks (or more like a ton of water). I think we stopped three times JUST on the side of the highway, and three more times at rest areas. Kind of embarrassing--like those old guys who tow the portapotty behind their Ford Ranger's in those medicine commercials for enlarged prostate or whatever . . ..


As you can see, the Yentas did their crafts at the dining room table--our friend Penny came by and did a stamp party for the ladies, and they were hard at work with their products--except for all the talking, jewelery, and Vera Bradley handbags one might have thought they were in a Ecuadorian Hallmark sweatshop . . .


Amanda made some fantastic cards with stamps, cardstock, ribbons, and love, and we will send those out as our Christmas cards. While the ladies played crafts, Twon and I sampled some new beers which we bought at Ye Olde Spirit Store--Twon got a good beer, and I sampled some ghetto "Naragansett" beer, which, at least, gave me a new bottle for my collection. We also played computers a bit, and I showed him my new Mac. I spent a lot of time this weekend fiddling with it (the Mac) and trying to figure out all the new software I can use in my classroom so we can beat India.


The day ended with Mom taking us to "Rice and Spice," which is a Thai restaurant in downtown Mystic. It was pretty good--a lot different than our "Asian Cafe," but good for a change. Mom was funny when she tried to use her chopsticks, tried to pronounce anything on the menu, and tried to prepare her green tea. Good times.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

To bad my cousin didn't come.

To bad Uncle Jared bought me chocolate munchkins, he tried to KILL me!!!

Good thing I have a great sense of smell and found that rotten turnip for Daddy before you left.

Anonymous said...

Cha Cha said:

Let's just make sure that everyone knows that Amanda, tied everyone of Kristin's mother in laws bows for her cards, and left her own mother in law to fend for herslef.....

Oh well, of course I completed my card and did it all myself....

Anonymous said...

Let's just make sure that everyone knows that I OFFERED to tie my mother-in-law's bows, but she did them all herself before I finished mine.

Besides, now she can take all the credit for her cards. I made JoAnn list my name on the back to give me credit for the bows...