Friday, October 19, 2007

Thou Shalt Honor Thy Saturday Morning




Hi, Jared here (isnt it funny how Amanda always has to identify herself? I thought I would too). A strange weather pattern we've got up here--lots of rain and wind today, yet very muggy and un-fall like outside. Driving home tonight was beautifully scary; a storm of leaves falling from the sky like big orangey-yellow snowflakes, steam and fog twirling around together to coat the dark roadways. We brought Big G's over to the Pelottes tonight (I should do a blog JUST about Big G's sometime). We got to hang out with Griffin and Liam, and visit with our good friends Mandy and Tony. Amanda leaves tomorrow morning for Boston where she will go see Wicked (no, my sister is NOT in Boston) with her friend Andrea.


I have been thinking lately about Saturday morning cartoons, and the tremendous tradition they held during my formative years; it was certainly a rite of passage to sit, wearing pajamas, and watch episode after episode of some truly great animated entertainment. I was reading an article about the decline of the "Saturday Morning Cartoon" culture, and it made me sad. The article states that, with the advent of cable stations (like Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network), DVDs, and a huge influx on imported Japanese animation, simple, artistic, and wonderful good old American cartoon programs are losing their clout with kids. Terrifying. "Saturday morning cartoons" wasnt just about the SHOWS; it was the whole experience. The commercials, for example, gave kids opportunities (in 30 second increments) to met out what they wanted for Christmas that year. In addition, mother's grocery lists were augmented by whatever type of corn-starch rich, imitation fruit snack was displayed during cartoon commercials.


MY generation was awesome. We watched innocent shows that suggested innocent fun. We didnt have "rich kid shows" like Hannah Montana and "The Hills" and other crappy mall-rat inspired b.s. There were no "serious issues" dealt with (unless there was a sorcerer incessantly chasing you to try to turn you into gold). Morality? We had it covered with "one to grow on." Remember THAT?? They were 60 second little "public service" announcements dramatizing hazing, bullying, sex abuse, lying, cheating, killing, maiming, and whatever other "issues" plagued our iPod, Razr, and blackberry free lives. I have such wonderful memories of watching "Superfriends" over Papa Goldsmith's on Saturdays while he fried me a 2 pound cheeseburger that I could no better finish today than when I was 5 or 6. The post cheeseburger cuisine would be Ramblin' Rootbeer, combined with jellied cinnamon bears. Saturday morning cartoons were all about the memories. What kinds of traditions will our kids have? These are some standout Saturday morning cartoons that made my childhood better than the kinds of childhoods kids born after 1996 have.


  • The Smurfs (I used to watch this with my dad)

  • Kissyfur

  • Gummi Bears

  • Captain N The Game Master

  • Metroid

  • Alvin and the Chipmunks

  • Camp Candy

  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

  • Jem and the Holograms

  • Masters of the Universe (He-Man)

What do YOU remember from Saturday mornings??? I'd love to read your thoughts and memories about awesome cartoons.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved watching the smurfs, I still remember when I shaved, Kristin used to put shaving cream on my face and call me Papa Smurf

Belle said...

Saturday mornings were definitely sprent watachig the smurfs in my house. Steve Cee loved the smurfs too!

The Flinestones and Jettsons were also very popular when I was growing up along with Scooby Doo.

Do you remember the New Zoo Review or Electric Factory?

Anonymous said...

What about the snorkles?

Anonymous said...

It was the "Snorks"!! Dummy!

Ed Kelley said...

I remember Yogi and Booboo, Rocky and Bowwinkle, (aka Moose and Squirrel) Deputy Dog, Felix the Cat, and I used to sing the Popeye song.

I also remember being mesmerized and ignoring my mom's requests to turn off the TV until she came in and shut it off herself and told us to get dressed.

Anonymous said...

sorry TORE, u wanna have a blog war or something?

Anonymous said...

I use to love watching the Roadrunner, Bugs Bunny, Porky Pig, Woody the Woodpecker, that skunk (Pepe I think), Scooby, Tom and Jerry, the Jettsons, the Flinestones, Gummy Bears, Ducktales, HeathCliff also many of the ones Ed mentioned. I from time to time see them on the Cartoon Network but rarely as they have now been replaced with the new age ones. Before I have kids, I want to buy DVD's of all the cartoons I watched growing up so my kids can watch.

Anonymous said...

I'm quite a bit older than you...but I'd go with the Wacky Racers.

Anonymous said...

I bet I am older than all of you because my sister and I you know the M.I.L. used to wach Captain Kangaroo (he wasn't a cartoon but an awsome show!) and I loved the road runner and bugs bunny. I'd still watch them on Saturday if they had them on.

Anonymous said...

i'm older than all of you but i just Lovvvved Rocky and Bullwinkle!!! does anyone out there remember American Bandstand? it was'nt a saturday morning cartoon (it was on every afternoon during the week) but i'd rush right home after school to watch it! that show rocked!

Anonymous said...

Oh ya, how could I ever forget bandstand. I remember M.I.L. coming home from school and monopolizing the TV and lets not forget how she danced holding onto the door knob!! That was the best.

Anonymous said...

I remember this contest where you had to call this number and recite the lyrics to the Gem theme song to win a free Gem doll. I practiced for a week, made the call, and won. Hands down, best day of my life.

What about the snorks? fraggle rock?

Belle said...

OMG! Fraggle Rock is one I forgot, I use to love watching that.

Anonymous said...

What a great question! I watched the Smurfs, Fraggle Rock, the Care Bears, the Bernstein Bears, Strawberry Shortcake, Rainbrow Brite, the Flintstones, Scooby Doo, Tom and Jerry, Winnie the Pooh, Bugs Bunny, Heathcliff...the lsit goes on! Thanks for bringing back some great memories! What are kids watching these days?